Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Start of Something Great...

I decided to begin this blog to share my love of crafting with others and share some of my favorite recipes or unique patterns or discoveries.  I use crafting as a stress reliever--and boy have I been using it lately!  My latest creations have involved what I like to call coffee mug sweaters, although I have seen them called mug hugs on Etsy and my new love, Pinterest.  Below is a coffee mug sweater that I made for my friend, Cathy as a thank you for watching my son every morning.



I used a pink yarn with sequins sewn into it AND Martha Stewart's hot pink glitter eyelash yarn to begin.  I cast on 40 stitches on circular needles.  Using the magic loop method to connect, I knit 4 rows.  Next, I cut the glitter eyelash yarn leaving about a 6 inch tail.  For added security, I tied the glitter eyelash to the pink yarn with the sequins.  Then, no longer knitting in the round, and working my 6 inch eyelash tail into my work, knit in Stockinette Stitch until you've almost reached the height of the coffee mug you're making the sweater for.  Mine was about 4 inches high.  Knit for 3 rows to keep the top of your sweater from rolling.  Cast off all stitches except for the last stitch.  Use that stitch to cast on 30 more stitches.  After casting on, immediately bind off.  This will make a "tail".  Fold the tail in half and secure to sweater to make a loop.  On the opposite side of the top of the sweater, sew on the button of your choice.  The loop will fit over the button, securing the coffee mug sweater to your mug.  Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment